Saturday, May 24, 2014

A letter to my son!

My dearest son,
My heart swells with pride when I look at you every time. Today, you are a young man who can hold his own in the world. Your success and achievements raise my head high. Today, I have to tilt my head backwards to look at your handsome face my child, but every time I do, I remember the tiny baby I held in my arms. Today... is the day I want to talk to you heart to heart...mom to son!

You are my son, my flesh, my blood, my child!
You are a reflection of me, my child!
I hope I raised you to be the man I wanted you to be. I hope I taught you the values that I wanted to see in you.

You saw me treat your father as the head of the household. I let him have the driving seat in the journey of life. I sat on the passenger side, not because I was inferior to him or that I could not drive. I sat there to tend to your needs. I also sat there as his aid. I helped him navigate and find directions. I was there to keep him awake, entertain him, communicate with him. I was there for him just like he was there for me. We were and are companions in life. You are well aware that over the way, I did take turns driving and switched seats when he got tired or needed a break but as parents and as life partners, we divided and shared responsibilities between ourselves with mutual consent and understanding.

I want you to always remember that I am a woman and I was always equal to your dad. Never forget this simple fact, my child, because today, you are a young man who can hold his own. Remember this when you go out in the world and meet other women. Always remember that you are my son. Treat those women with respect and honor. Treat them as your equal, as fellow human beings.

One day soon, you are going to meet this wonderful girl who will make your heart flutter. She will complete you as an individual by being your life partner. Let her sit on the passenger seat if she wants, with dignity. Never, ever, belittle her by complaining about the driving. Tell her if you get tired or when you can't . She will understand. She might take the wheel herself or she might not, but one thing is for sure, that you two will find a solution together. Talk to her and communicate with her. She will be your strength in weakness and your companion throughout.

Every time you look at her, remember me, your mom, my child! Make me proud by being the man I wanted you to be, the man I raised you to be, the man that every loving woman wants to see!





No comments:

Post a Comment