Saturday, June 7, 2014

The Climb!

A few men had gathered their youngsters and taken them for rock climbing. They took a little break in a small clearing and that's when I looked back in the valley. My mother's bright smile immediately drew my attention to the red and white checkered floor mats on which she was sitting among other ladies with unpacked picnic baskets. Small children and infants were playing near their mothers who were enjoying a relaxed chatter. I watched my mother. She always had a heart warming smile on her face. My aunt used to call her smile the light of a bright star that shines on a moonless clear night. Someone must have said something witty as her smile turned into a pearly laughter and I felt its magic reach over as the corners of my own lips started stretching upwards in response to that laughter.

With a grin, I turned my head slightly to the left to look at the youngsters playing outdoor games under the watchful eyes of grand parents relaxing nearby. Their excited voices and bubbly laughter sounded like echoes of a dancing spring that runs it's course over coarse rocks and stones free of all worries and cares. Youth has a similar energy and attitude towards life and that's why elders of senior generations are always there to watch and offer the aid and advice of their experiences.

I turned back to follow my own father who had resumed the climb. He stretched his hand to pull and help me climb a rather big step. As a child, I complained to him about the difficulty of going up. I thought coming down was always easier than going up. He contradicted me saying that although more energy is needed going up, it is still easier because the focus is on the steps as it's difficult to look up and climb. This focus keeps one determined and safe. He pointed out that one cannot go up while constantly looking backwards.

We kept on climbing. By now, I was getting restless. I wasn't sure how far we had to go. Other fathers with kids older than me, had gone farther and I could not see them. My father calmly explained that very often the destination is not visible until one reaches the end.
He asked me if we should return. I said no because I wanted to catch up with the rest of the party. Plus I did not want the older kids to think any less of me. So we continued. Shortly afterwards we met the rest who were taking a break at another spot. The fathers agreed that it was enough exercise for the kids and decided to return from that spot. This is when my father explained to me that sometimes, we, ourselves have to decide where to end the climb when there is no end in sight.

I had to keep on getting my father's help and assistance when climbing down. At every other step, I felt like slipping and falling forward. Again, my father explained that the climb down is always much faster than the climb up but more dangerous as focus keep shifting to the distance below and there are more chances of a slip and fall. The speed and momentum makes it look easier but add danger.

I thought to myself that difficult things seem to demand more but are comparatively safe while ease comes with many hidden dangers and cautions. I was listening and all the while noticing how faster we were covering the distance coming down. It had taken us almost double or more time going up

My father continued that the key factor is to maintain the speed. Often climbers pick up speed at the start of the journey when the excitement is at the peak and adrenaline is rushing but soon tire themselves out. Starting moderately and maintaining the speed can take one much farther. I listened closely and kept on climbing after him.

The scene has changed, in fact, life has changed ever since. Years have gone by! My father is no more, the elders are gone and the kids of that time have kids of their own .... but I'm still climbing after my dad, listening to his voice!




No comments:

Post a Comment