Monday, September 19, 2016

Politicians divide, Leaders unite

"Let me know if we can do anything for you."

Her concern and words touched me deep inside but left me very sad at the very same time.

My colleague is a very compassionate and kind human being.
I recently met her in the corridors and after greetings, she expressed her concern over the political situation and overall polarization of the country. She told me that she was sad over the direction things were going and then she said "let me know if we can do anything for you".

The words stopped me in tracks. I thanked her for her kindness but a sadness descended over my heart. I wasn't thinking on personal level while making the small talk about the political atmosphere of the country.

I had not realized that I might be in need of help!
This is my country for the past 28 years.
I've made a family, a career, a home, ...., a life over here.
I am a citizen, pay taxes, and work for the prosperity of this land.
My children were born and raised here.

I have built memories here.
I have reached out to strangers to find familiarity.
I have tried finding the comfort of family among friends.
I have cared and helped others in the society.
All this, because I love this country and the American Dream.
I wasn't born here but I made it mine by choice.
For me, everyone living in this country is equal.
They are no different than me.
We are all unique but the same, humans.

And today, someone with my own best interest in mind, made me realize that there are people who would never accept me. Without intention, my own friend made me feel that even after 28 years, a lifetime of dedication and loyalty, I am still vulnerable and that I might need help to live peacefully in the country.

This hurts....deep down, it hurts....a lot.
                                                                    (Shamsa Anwar)





No comments:

Post a Comment