Wednesday, November 6, 2013

People...they intrigue me!

I travel around the world and meet complete strangers. I don't speak their language and they don't know my customs. Their habits, their life styles and their values vary according to region and religion. They are different individuals practicing various  traditions. They are all unique and different yet there is so much that is common and similar.

Human values and behavior intrigue me! I find it fascinating how honor and integrity has universal appeal. A smile has its own language that even an infant understands and responds to. A frown, an angry voice or a sharp look can alert a person regardless of what language (s)he speaks. Dignity, good manners, soft tone of voice and sophistication don't need any interpreter to inspire awe. Human kindness is a language understood by all.

I love people and they hold my interest. They are complex beings. During my travels, I've met many people, good and bad, but no one is absolute bad or entirely good.They are a mixture. They have different shades of character, some darker, some lighter. The shade of a color they show to another individual varies and depends upon their relationship with that individual and at the moment. Hence, sometimes it's very difficult to categorize them. Even a hard core criminal may show the kindest of emotions and sometimes the gentlest of persons may act most selfishly under a situation.

I see people act differently with different individuals and under different situations and find it extremely difficult to dislike anyone. I can never hate anyone but there are some people in my life who have let me down. I don't think that the people who let me down were bad people. Maybe they were not good for/ towards me but I'm sure that there are people for whom they were very nice and good. Same way, there are people who are very good for me but others may not like them. It's okay.

We all know about chemistry between people. I call it aura. We all have auras around us. We sense it without seeing it. Some call it energy. With some people, no matter how much we try, the chemistry does not work. We feel that negative aura around them, that repels us. The people whose chemistry match, feel a pull towards each other. Their personalities click instantly. This reaction to auras is reflected in the body language.

One can observe this even in children. Actually, children, untainted by learned reflexes, show the best evidence of it. I've witnessed some very shy toddlers bond instantly with complete strangers. On the other hand, many social ones stay away from apparently friendly persons. Overall, since humans are a mix of different traits, we get mixed signals and it takes us time to figure out their auras and ultimately the terms of relationship with them. Once in a while, we cross paths with someone whose personality or aura has a very strong appeal or repulsion for us. They catch our instant attention. Our senses are alerted. Some may call it the sixth sense. We fall in love, form friendships or instant dislikes for such people. If the circumstances or time don't allow a relationship to develop, the persons go away but leave behind a strong memory of that moment, that look, that exchange, that touch....that feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment