Monday, October 21, 2013

The Human Agility!

The Human ability, my own ability to adjust, modify and improvise amazes me!

I grew up in a joint family system. My parents' house doors were always open for family and friends. Our house was the gathering place for all relatives. Not for a single hour I was ever alone or by myself. Always surrounded by company, I grew up under watchful eyes and guiding advices of my elders. I'm no exception. It's a common thing in the Eastern cultures where family is everything. Well, at least till recent past because the western influence and individualism is catching up and spreading like virus in the East as well.

Quite recently I had to be alone by myself for two weeks. Like I said, I had never before in my life been absolutely alone for a long period of time. My kids, though babies were always with me when my husband was away in the past. This time, no one was there, not even my children. Although this solitude was temporary and just for a short time, it still bothered me a bit.

I thought that I'd spend this time getting busy in my daily routine but I was in for a big surprise. What I had not expected was my own reaction to this solitude. The house seemed so empty that silence seemed to talk. I was taking care of the daily routine but there was a gnawing feeling that I had to do something more. I had to utilize this time. Suddenly there was plenty of time! And freedom! It was up to me how to make use of this newly found time and I found myself doing things that I had not envisioned doing ever!

 I went hiking for the first time by myself and trekked along new paths at unfamiliar places. It's not like me at all! I have never done things like that previously. I was amused at this need to fill the empty feeling by getting involved in new activities. It was as if I was challenging my own agility and the beauty of it all was that I was discovering my own ability with a sense that I could still learn, adapt, change and improvise.This is a human ability that we all have within us and I love it! It gives me insight into human survival.

No comments:

Post a Comment