Monday, October 7, 2013

The Most Cherished Hajj Experience!

Arafat day Pic Shared from Internet
Ahhhh, that time of the year is here again...I am loosing control of my heart once again as the days go by and the date approaches. My feet itch to go there and my eyes long for the crowds while my ears hear echoes of the words chanted by millions in unison....yes I'm talking about HAJJ!

I grew up going for Hajj with my parents almost every other year.Yes, I am very lucky to have had the opportunities to visit Mecca for Hajj, Umrah and Tawaf right from the beginning. I have cherished memories of excitement as my mom would pack five days ration, our Eid clothes and dad would load everything in the car. I think there was probably once or twice when my father drove his own car during Hajj. It must have been one of the very early ones because I don't have much memory of it. In later days, Saudi government banned the use of private vehicles to facilitate easy flow of traffic on the roads but even before that, my parents and family friends started going to Hajj as a group and using private buses and drivers.

Now a days, the pilgrims are not allowed to cook their own meals during Hajj days, but in my early childhood, my mom used to cook meals in the tents on camping stove carried from home. The Arafat, Hajj day meal has always been the responsibility of Saudi govt. No matter how many million, they are all served by the S. govt. This practice dates back to Prophet Ibrahim (Abraham)'s days. the custodian of Kaaba is responsible for the provisions of pilgrims on Arraft day. I remember sitting on the floor in a circle of seven or eight among the crowds that formed similar circles. Each circle was served a huge giant platter of rice, meat, vegetables and all sorts of cooked dishes and everyone in the circle ate from the same platter using their hands. A few used utensils, but majority ate with their hands and did not use individual plates. Arrafat day was and is the day of total brotherhood among Muslims. now a days, people have become more conscious and majority use individual plates and silverware. A few still used their hands. The style of service may vary on other days, but on Hajj day, the tradition of brotherhood and sharing is upheld each year.

The next day to Hajj day is the Eid day. Father used to go to the slaughter house to pick the animal and bring a portion to be cooked by mom. Now a days, there is no need to go to the slaughter house as one can give the money to the group leader who takes care of the task. It is definitely more convenient and hygienic but I miss those old days.

We always did Hajj together with somebody. Sometimes one family, sometimes with ten. One of my Dad's friend always accompanied us every year from Pakistan. Hajj is a unique individual experience where one is part of a crowd of millions!

I remember one time, I must have been around seven or eight years old. It was the next day of Arrafat day, first day of Eid al Adha. My father sacrificed one lamb per person and then we came to Mecca from Mina to perform the Tawaf. After Tawaf, it took us more than two hours to reach back to our vehicle and on the way the prayer time started. The rows of people started to form and the streets got filled with row after row all the way to Masjid al Haram. We prayed in a row on the street. After the prayer, perhaps out of a kid's curiosity, I stole a look back and all round.....The scene I saw is etched in my memory and in my heart forever. I have never seen anything like that anywhere else in my entire life!

Mecca is situated in a valley and in those days all the surrounding hills were intact. In pursuit of expanding the capacity, all those hills have been bulldozed and are gone from sight forever, but in those days, all buildings used to have single digit floors, meaning no building had more than a few stories.

As I looked back and around, every street, hill and open space was taken up by pilgrims. There was an ocean of white everywhere wherever one could see. Wave after wave of praying men and women! The soft rises of surrounding hills packed with worshippers gathered from all over the world. There was no distinction of race, color, gender, ethnicity, status or of anything else. Each and everyone stood there shoulder to shoulder, forming row after row, facing one direction, glorifying ONE GOD. The sight looked as if angels had descended down from Heaven to pray together...it was that serene!

I can never forget that sight. It was the most wonderful, amazing mesmerizing and beautiful sight of my life and the best experience ever!





No comments:

Post a Comment