Monday, September 9, 2013

Oh My!

 Oh My! 

Sometimes, one word says more than a whole paragraph.
I recently befriended a lady on social media. She is a very kind hearted person and a devout Christian. I joined her group where she often posts positive quotes.


Today, she posted a prayer and as usual I responded. The post said to start the day with a prayer and I replied that I usually do so since it is mandatory in my religion to do it. She had not realized earlier that I was not a Christian. She was surprised and wrote back, "Oh my, ... ". She was surprised but appeared genuinely interested in reaching out which really touched my heart.

I still cannot get that "oh, my" out of my mind, though.This takes me back to the period when I used to feel the same way. Growing up in a conservative, religious society, I was not exposed to religious diversity. Although my educated and broad minded parents did their best to teach me about other religions and to respect everyone's choices, it was still not enough. I remember my own "oh, my"  the first time I saw someone eating pork sitting right next to me or met a couple living together out of wedlock...

I did not and still refuse to judge people on their choices. I was not questioning them. It was just that I was not used to the idea. The novelty of the situation brought out that "oh, my" in me. This "oh my" was more directed towards my own self than others. It was kind of like "oh my, I hope I do not do anything to offend the other person" kind of an expression. It was a struggle to give space and respect to the other without loosing my own ground.

I still get into those "oh my" situations, but I've learned that the only way out is the exposure. This "oh my" situation is a tense phase that can only be smoothed and removed through trust which requires reaching out and knowing each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment